If you’re interested in my two cents throughout the week, tweet me @The_Tonian.
Two changes to announce to the tens of you (bots included!) who read this column. First, I will no longer review every game. While I enjoy writing comments (snarky or otherwise) on the games I’m not betting, it’s a waste of your time, cherished reader, as well as mine. Also, we’ve reached the point in the season where there’s less value on the board.
The second change is that I’m not playing any totals this week. Despite consistently getting very good numbers, I’ve struggled the last few weeks. This is a temporary hiatus, however. I don’t want to force any bets if I’m not seeing it well. I’ve done better with sides and will focus on that this week.
I felt there were several good spots to hit this week. As always, these numbers may already be gone and are subject to move before and after the column posts.
1. Patriots at Jets: It’s tempting to back the Jets here. The Patriots are coming off an emotional, last-second win. Jerod Mayo was placed on IR. Plus, in Week 2, the Jets only lost by 3 in New England. However, that was a Thursday Night game with a grossly inflated number. You can get -3 at -125 and it’s possible it may not be as juiced by kickoff. Pick: Patriots -3
2. Chargers at Jaguars: Justin Blackmon’s return has helped the Jaguars passing offense. The Chargers are coming off a flying cross-country for an early game. I’ll take the points here. Pick: Jaguars +7.5
3. Bears at Redskins: The Bears run defense is a sieve and the Redskins played better than what the final score indicated against the Cowboys. Pick: Redskins pk
4. Bucs at Falcons: Considering all their injuries to key players, I don’t think the Falcons should be laying 7+ points against anyone other than maybe the Jaguars right now. Pick: Bucs +7.5
5. Browns at Packers: This is probably a big secret to the general public but the Packers offense has been mediocre the last few weeks. I don’t see that trend ending this week either, especially with the Packers playing without Randall Cobb. Pick: Browns +10.5
6. Vikings at Giants: This is an awful spot for the Vikings with a home game against the Packers on deck. Pick: Giants -3
3-team parlay of the week: Patriots -3, Jaguars +7.5, Giants -3 (Season Record: 1-3)
Week 5 Sides: 4-3; Week 5 Totals: 2-3
Season Sides: 13-11-1; Season Totals: 6-9
Combined Overall Record: 19-20-1